IFSA - SUMMER IN ROME
WHY STUDY IN ROME
An ancient but cosmopolitan city, Rome is more than 3,000 years old. Modern apartments and businesses are located side-by-side with historic fountains and ancient ruins in this city of 2.8 million residents. As a top tourist destination and top study abroad location, Rome is one of the world’s most-visited cities and a vibrant European business center. Walk by ancient Roman city walls, stop for a quick espresso, and admire spectacular works of art – all on your way to class.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
See what defines the Mediterranean lifestyle as you explore Italy’s capital city, brimming with culinary treats, unforgettable museums and haunting ruins. With treasures that attract throngs of visitors, Rome is an ideal place to explore eco-friendly, culturally sensitive practices with an eye toward preservation and sustainability. Rome is also the perfect setting to understand and consider the challenges many European countries are grappling with as refugees flow in.
This flexible program includes options for one or two four-week sessions, with the opportunity to layer in an eight-week internship with IFSA Summer Internships in Rome
Session 1 Class
Session 2 Class
- Forced Migration, Refugees, and Change
Please visit Summer in Rome
for complete class descriptions and syllabi.
CULTURAL ENGAGEMENT ACTIVITIES & EXCURSIONS
Program activities are designed to enhance your intercultural competence by developing your understanding of the local culture and people. They are optional, but they are included in your total program fee. Activities vary each term based on availability, but previous events have included:
- Eataly and Testaccio Neighborhood Visit: Tour Italy with your taste buds at Eataly, a premium food market for Italian products and restaurant hall, and experience the Roman street food tradition while visiting the Testaccio neighborhood market.
- Volunteer for a Cause: Raise awareness on environmental issues and sustainability by volunteering with Legambiente, a historical Italian association focused on protecting the environment and landscape. You will participate in a day of activities organized by the local chapter in the Garbatella neighborhood such as visiting a “Clean the World Days” exhibit.
- Riserva della Cascina Winery: Tour Riserva della Cascina, a family-run organic winery in the outskirts of Rome along the old Roman "via Appia," that specializes in organic methods of production, earning awards, and special recognition. Learn their sustainable practices as you taste a variety of their organic grapes!
- Visit to FAO Headquarters: Learn about sustainability across agriculture, forestry, and fishers through a guided tour of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO). The FAO is a specialized agency of the United Nations that leads international efforts to defeat hunger and improve nutrition and food security
IFSA excursions are included in your total program fee and though these are optional, most students choose to participate. Excursions vary each term based on availability.
- Orvieto Day Trip: Orvieto is a medieval hill-top town with a stunning gothic cathedral and an underground series of caves dug by the pre-Roman Etruscan civilization.
- Tarquinia Day Trip: Tarquinia is a small town on the coast of Lazio that is home to a UNESCO World Heritage site of pre-Roman Etruscan tombs, paintings, and artifacts.
- Parco dell'Uccellina Day Trip: Day trip to the protected area of Parco dell'Uccellina, a regional forested park along the Mediterranean coast with opportunities to hike, rent bikes, or enjoy relaxing on the beach.
- Castelli Romani Day Trip: Castelli Romani is a hilly area known for its Papal palace turned museum, lush nature preserve and lakes, and wine and oil olive production.
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN MY IFSA PROGRAM?
|BEGIN YOUR STUDY ABROAD JOURNEY
Choose your ideal program by customizing and personalizing your search filters. Using IFSA’s search tool, you can find programs by searching beyond location and area of study.
Using CHART, you’ll be able to see which classes abroad fit easily into your academic plan. You can also see which classes your home institution has already approved to guarantee that your credits will align.
Apply Online Today.
Our easy online application process is here for you! Simply log in to the IFSA Student Portal and answer questions about yourself to get started. If you get stuck or have questions, reach out to our IFSA team. We’re here to help.
WE’RE HERE FOR YOU
- Academic Support
- Administrative Fees and Applications Fees
- Airport Pickup
- Activities and Excursions (including transportation and meals)
- Guaranteed Housing
- International Medical Insurance
- Internet Access in Housing
- Internship, Directed Research, and Volunteer Opportunities (on many programs)
- Meals (on some programs)
- Official Transcript with U.S. Credit Translation
- On-site Orientation
- On-site Staff Support (including in-person meetings and emergencies)
- Pre-arrival Advising